JScript 5.7 14

[Revised to not sound as nagging as I always sound]

The JScript 5.7 patch is now being pushed to an IE6 computer near you…

IE6 uses Jscript 5.6 which has some design flaws when it comes to garbage collection. This is just a small issue for small applications but it is a large issue for large applications. Gmail is a large application and the GC problems caused IE6 to perform unacceptably slow. After talking to the JScript team they were really cooperative and they saw the need to push JScript 5.7 as an update to IE6. It is now being installed on all Windows computers. Expect Gmail to work better on an IE6 computer near you after a few more rounds of QA.

14 thoughts on “JScript 5.7

1. Nater Kane Dec 18, 2007 08:58

But will it be available to developers who run ie6 as a standalone?

2. Gary Haran Dec 18, 2007 09:27

Too little too late.

3. José Jeria Dec 18, 2007 09:46

I don’t see Windows 2000 on that list, meaning that we will still have to sniff for what JScript version the client has…

4. Pingback: Javascript News » Blog Archive » JScript 5.7: Fixing IE6

5. Patrick Dec 19, 2007 00:36

I think this is great news. And I don’t think it’s too late, better late than never. There’s still a large amount of businesses that are equipped with XP+IE6 today. Delivering rich internet app to them is an everyday challenge with the current IE6. If this patch can speeds things up, it can only be a good news.

6. Pingback: Austin Web Developer Blog

7. Pingback: The Guy with the LAMP » Blog Archive » JScript 5.7: Fixing IE6

8. Pingback: NICCAI » Blog Archive » It’s an IE Christmas

9. nitro2k01 Dec 30, 2007 01:30

So that’s the IE6 update MS wanted to push onto me… I guess I’ll install it.

10. Pingback: Continuing Intermittent Incoherency » How IE Mangles The Design Of JavaScript Libraries

11. Pingback: Ajaxian » How IE Mangles The Design Of JavaScript Libraries

12. Pingback: Javascript News » Blog Archive » How IE Mangles The Design Of JavaScript Libraries

13. Pingback: noisylime » How IE Mangles The Design Of JavaScript Libraries

14. Liz Dec 10, 2008 11:32

I want to get my brother a book on “how to” use jscript for crm and perhaps one for how to study for the small business server certification…any ideas? outside of my area of expertise!